I have already alluded to utilite devices several times (at least here, here and here).
The utilite pro is definitively the best i.MX6 device I currently own for several reasons :
- It is based on the powerful i.MX6Q with 2Gib of RAM
- The bootloader is in a dedicated SPI NOR flash (so it is always available)
- It includes a SanDisk SSD U100 drive which is just a sdcard killer
- It provides 2 Gbps Ethernet interfaces (one of it being the standard imx6 ENET interface and the other a PCIe intel I211 controller).
- It comes well packaged in a nice aluminum case (with power button) and accessories (wifi antenna + power supply + S/PDIF coax and uUSB to RS232 cables)
- It also has an backed RTC (it may appear as a detail but is just another little asset for this product)
(it is worth mentioning that this product is based upon the embedded board cm-fx6 which is properly documented, especially schematics are available)
Some people would argue that it is expensive. Obviously it may seem to be the case when compared to a GK802 stick. But when you have a detailed look at the features, it is simply aligned with the price of comparable devices I guess…
XBMC for utilite
When I released my HardFloat XBMC image, I said I will also release an image for utilite.
So here it is ! This image is special : Not only does it provide my most recent XBMC build for iMX6, but it also features CEC as I mentioned in my previous post
You can download the image from this link – md5sum is cf4523d1e32ebd35faa5264abe3523fb.
Warning : I updated the image on the 30th of September 20:10 GMT because the included XBMC had an issue. Please check carefully your md5sum and download the image again if it is not the good one…
It is a sdcard image : That way you can try it without interfering with your SSD install (of course you will not benefit from the SSD that way but it is a safe and easy way to give a first try at my image)
To get it up and running :
- Flash the sdcard and insert it in your device
- Plug the serial line, configure it @115200n8 and power on your device
- Stop the bootloader by pressing ESC
- Issue the following commands :
setenv sdargs 'setenv bootargs console=ttymxc3,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080@60,if=RGB24 consoleblank=0' setenv start_sd 'mw.l 0x20E0034 0x593A046 ; mmc dev 2 ; fatload mmc 2 0x10800000 uImage-cm-fx6 ; run sdargs ; bootm' saveenv
- Then you can boot by issuing the command :
Please note that you will only have to issue the command :
to boot from the sdcard instead of the SSD during the next reboots …
Apart from this, you can refer to my previous post to get more info regarding this image…