As announced in a previous quick post, I have just released a new image for wandboard quad.
What’s in it
This image packages my latest version of XBMC for iMX6. It is built using ARMHF ABI.
This XBMC is derived from a gotham dev branch (which is 4 month old. A sync to catch latest main devs will happen soon).
It exhibits the following features :
- Hw decoding is available for most codecs which are handled by the iMX6 VPU (noticeable exceptions are RV and AVS standard but they are not so common so it is not a major drawback).
- codecs which are not directly handled by VPU are available through sw decoding
- Network shares such as uPNP, SMB, NFS are available
- RTMP protocol is available
- Support for bluray has been built in (but tests are required)
- All sound interfaces are available (HDMI, SPDIF and sgtl5000) and passthrough should work (not yet tested on my side)
How to install
- Download the compressed (xz) SDcard image – md5sum is 70c39feda421fc4130909127219e27b8.
- Extract it by using the xz utility :
xz -dv wand.bin.xz
- Burn it on a sdcard (At least 2GiB) by using
- Whether win32 disk imager on Windows
- whether the dd command on linux :
dd if=wand_v0.0.2.bin of=/dev/sdx bs=4M
With /dev/sdx being the sdcard device (for instance /dev/sdd)
How to use
On startup, XBMC is automatically launched, just have fun…
Be aware that :
- login is root and password is empty
- You have a shell on the serial line interface
- A ssh/scp server is up and running
This image is still beta and work in progress.
If you experience instabilities, crashes or bugs, please report them to me without being too rude 😉
Known bugs are tracked here
Please when you report a bug :
- Try to be as precise as possible regarding the context.
- When it occurs, try to download the 2 files :
- Try to reproduce it
For now, report these bugs on this blog or in XBMC thread. I will create tickets in trac by myself as I have disabled the ability to create tickets for anonymous because of spams.
If you need to send files, I will give you a direct link to upload on my server by mail.
In case I ask you to create a core dump dump here is the way to do it :
- Stop XBMC
- login on the board and issue the commands :
echo "/tmp/core.%e.%p" > /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern ulimit -c unlimited /imx6/xbmc/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin &
Then if XBMC crashes, a file core.* will be created in /tmp folder
A package manager (smart) is installed and will enable future updates.
First additional package is NTP client which is not already installed in the image. So, if you want a NTP client please issue the following commands on your board :
smart update smart install ntp ntp-utils
What next ?
Of course stability is a must have and I will do my best to improve it by investigating and hopefully by solving reported bugs.
Then, regarding new features, my current priorities for the days to come are :
- Sync with main gotham dev branch
- Add support for liveTV
- Add support for LIRC
- Port libCEC on iMX6 to provide support in XBMC (not possible for wandboard as CEC pin is not connected, thanks to hste for pointing this. I will check if other products have connected this pin or not…)
I will also provide images ready to use for other devices than wandboard quad. I mostly think about utilite and maybe GK802 (with special care given the overheating issue) because I own these other products.
(If you want support for another iMX6 board or device and are ready to send to me a free sample then you can contact me.)